The Kidney Transplant Program at UT Southwestern Medical Center is nationally recognized, and our accomplished physicians are highly regarded for their groundbreaking work in transplantation.
Among our milestones:
- UT Southwestern physicians performed the first successful kidney transplant in North Texas. That kidney is still functioning today.
- Our transplant team has performed more than 1,700 kidney transplants.
- Our physicians are responsible for innovations that have become nationally accepted practice.
Partners in Patient Care
UT Southwestern Medical Center and UMC Healthcare have forged a new partnership in kidney transplantation, bringing the strengths of both facilities together, creating a patient-centric culture, and providing an unsurpassed level of innovative and compassionate care.
UT Southwestern Medical Center has assembled an expert team of transplant surgeons, nephrologists, endocrinologists, immunologists, and highly trained health professionals. At home in one of the nation's leading medical and research facilities, UT Southwestern’s physicians are also dedicated to providing each of our patients with an individual, personalized approach to treatment.
Five-Year Kidney Transplant Volume
The medical center's clinical trials program gives patients access to treatments often unavailable at other health care facilities. Depending on the specific condition, UT Southwestern can offer therapies that show particular promise years before these therapies are offered to the public.
Our Program was among the first to use:
- Anti-lymphocyte antibodies to prevent and treat rejection
- Calcium channel blockers to improve early function of a kidney transplant
- Molecular biology to better match kidneys with patients
Our experience in conducting some of the most advanced research into kidney transplants enables UT Southwestern to provide you with the best possible medical treatments – all in a caring and compassionate environment.