Transplant surgery can be truly life-changing, providing incredibly sick individuals with a second chance at life.
As an academic medical center, UT Southwestern has highly-trained specialists who work together to treat even the most complicated patients and provide optimal outcomes. The transplantation teams will follow you from the initial evaluation through the life of the organ, and we have a detailed protocol to communicate your progress and results to your referring physicians.
UT Southwestern physicians performed the first successful kidney transplant in North Texas in 1964. Since then, we have performed more than 1,800 lifesaving transplants, including:
- Heart: Our one-year and three-year survival rates consistently exceed the national average.
- Lung: We are one of fewer than two dozen programs in the U.S. using ex vivo technology. The program continues to grow, and in recent years has achieved one of the highest lung transplant volumes in the nation.
- Liver: We have a world-renowned team of surgeons and specialists that provide comprehensive medical and surgical care for patients with an end-stage liver disease requiring liver transplantation.
- Kidney: Our physicians have pioneered innovative treatments that have become nationally accepted practices.
- Living Kidney Donation: We offer transplant patients better long-term outcomes and survival rates, while ensuring that donors’ health and interests are protected.
We are also a Medicare-approved transplant center for heart, liver, lung, and kidney transplantation.