Heart Disease Prevention
Almost one million Americans suffer a heart attack each year, and half of those who die suddenly will have had no previous warning symptoms. Although there is no cure for cardiovascular disease, our preventive cardiology team has the expertise to help prevent cardiovascular disease and its complications, particularly in patients who are at high risk.
For each patient, we look at hereditary factors and other conditions that may affect their future health. Then, a multidisciplinary team of doctors, nurses, and dietitians tailors a plan to aggressively reduce risk factors, combining traditional approaches with new strategies based on research.
Who Should See Us?
You would benefit from consulting with our preventive cardiology team if you have:
- History of heart attack, stroke, or peripheral artery disease at a young age
- Multiple family members who have had these diseases
- Risk factors for atherosclerosis that are difficult to control, such as abnormal cholesterol, diabetes, or smoking
Heart Disease Prevention Services
By combining attentive and compassionate care with our extensive clinical and research resources, our preventive cardiology experts are widely recognized as national leaders in heart disease prevention.
The heart disease prevention services we offer include:
- Comprehensive cardiovascular risk assessment, including advanced blood tests and imaging tests
- Multidisciplinary risk intervention
- Lipid management
- Cardiac imaging, such as coronary artery calcium scanning and CT angiography (heart scans)
- Nutrition services
- Cardiac rehabilitation through supervised exercise and extensive educational classes
- Clinical trials of investigational drugs and new therapies
Request an Appointment
To schedule an appointment with a heart disease prevention expert at UT Southwestern's facilities in Dallas or for more information about our services, request an appointment or call 214-645-8300.