MedBlog

Your Pregnancy Matters

Dr. Horsager’s top five pregnancy stories of 2017

Your Pregnancy Matters

Which Your Pregnancy Matters story was your favorite? Tell us on Facebook or Twitter!

Every year, I’m more and more grateful to serve women and families in North Texas. By extension, it’s a pleasure to connect with you on the Your Pregnancy Matters blog. In celebration of a fast-paced 2017 in the world of maternal-fetal medicine, I’ve compiled below five of our most impactful pregnancy stories of 2017.

Thank you for including my colleagues and me in your pregnancy journey. Best wishes for a happy and healthy 2018!

1. Emergency delivery: What to do when the baby’s coming – right now

On a sunny day in 2010, Parkland Hospital labor and delivery nurse Jenea Jones delivered her own baby daughter – on the I-30 roadside! Read Jenea’s story and learn what to do if you’re faced with an emergency childbirth situation. Read more.

2. Five babies in five minutes: A quints story in pictures

On August 9, 2012, an alert flickered across my pager: CODE 5 Quintuplets! That day, we delivered Carrie and Gavin Jones’ five preemies in five minutes in Dallas. In 2017, the quints celebrated their fifth birthday. The milestone prompted me to reach back through my collection of photos from their birth – and to recall the weeks of planning to ensure a safe experience for the babies and their mother. Get photos and a behind-the-scenes look at the big day.

3. Not every woman loves being pregnant, and that’s OK

It’s OK to not enjoy being pregnant, no matter what societal norms suggest. If you're tired of family, friends, and co-workers telling you to enjoy this time, you're not alone. There are many women who feel this way and a wide variety of situations that can make pregnancy uncomfortable instead of fun. Learn more.

4. Why episiotomy during labor can hurt more than help

Before and during childbirth, your doctor or midwife might suggest a number of techniques to encourage stretching of the perineum to allow for a smoother delivery. But one procedure that used to be commonly recommended is rarely used anymore: the episiotomy. Learn more.

5. How to be a good friend to someone who’s suffered pregnancy loss

Losing a pregnancy can affect expecting women and couples deeply, even if they don’t talk about their feelings. It’s important for friends and loved ones to offer support during this emotional time. If you’re at a loss for words, use these guidelines to start a conversation. Your support can make a world of difference. Read more.