UT Southwestern’s St. Paul University Hospital is a major center for transplantation and a recognized leader in stroke care and other specialties.
It has been certified as an Advanced Comprehensive Stroke Center by The Joint Commission – its highest level of certification – recognizing UTSW’s capabilities to treat the most complex stroke cases on a round-the-clock basis.
The current 300-bed facility has been owned by UT Southwestern since 2000.
But the St. Paul name has been part of the Dallas medical landscape for nearly 120 years.
In 1896, St. Paul’s Sanitarium received state accreditation as a general hospital and opened in a cottage on Hall Street. Two years later, a new 110-bed St. Paul opened on Bryan Street. Over the years, the hospital expanded several times.
Groundbreaking for the current St. Paul facility, at the intersection of Inwood Road and Harry Hines Boulevard, took place in late 1959, with the first patients admitted on December 22, 1963 – just one month after Dallas and the world were stunned by the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.
The hospital was then operated by the Daughters of Charity National Health System, an affiliate of the Catholic Church. Ownership would change several times in subsequent years.
UT Southwestern purchased the current building and the surrounding 26 acres of land in December 2000 and changed the name from St. Paul Medical Center to St. Paul University Hospital. In 2005, the medical center acquired St. Paul’s business of nonprofit hospital operation and it was consolidated with UT Southwestern.