The Department of Urology at UT Southwestern Medical Center has a distinguished team of health care providers devoted to the diagnosis and treatment of conditions of the adrenal glands, kidneys, ureters, bladder, prostate, and the male and female genital organs. Our urologists are pioneers in their field, researching and developing new diagnostic tests and treatments that are used all over the world.
UT Southwestern’s urologists draw referrals from across the nation and are notable for their many firsts:
- Introduced the use of radiofrequency ablation to treat kidney tumors to Texas
- Performed the first laparoscopic prostatectomy in North Texas
- Were the first to perform an innovative therapy for complex female genital reconstruction
- Developed the Snodgrass repair, a surgical procedure used around the world for hypospadias, in which the opening of the urethra develops abnormally
- Conducted the first large bladder cancer screening study in the United States
- Offered North Texas’ first botulinum toxin injection for neurogenic bladder dysfunction in men and women
- Were among the first in the world to offer continent urinary diversion for bladder cancer patients
Our physicians have the most experience in North Texas with laparoscopic surgery for kidney, prostate, and testicular cancer, and offer robotic surgery for prostate cancer and other urological conditions. UT Southwestern offers treatments for some of the most complex urologic conditions, including specialized care to men, women, and children.