Sports Elbow Injury
A sports-related elbow injury is very common. Repetitive arm motions can cause overuse conditions while athletic mishaps may result in acute injuries. Regardless of the cause, an injury to the elbow makes everyday activities painful and difficult.
UT Southwestern’s skilled Sports Medicine team expertly evaluates and treats the complete range of elbow injuries and disorders. Our board-certified orthopaedic specialists deliver personalized care aimed at getting patients of all ages and activity levels back into action. Our orthopaedic surgeons are trusted by athletes throughout the community.
We treat a variety of injuries to the elbow, including:
- Flexor tendinitis
- Golfer's elbow (medial epicondylitis)
- Sprains and strains
- Traumatic injuries
- Little Leaguer's elbow (medial apophysitis)
- Olecranon stress fracture
- Tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis)
- Tendon tears
- Burners and stingers
- Ulnar collateral ligament injury (UCL)
- Ulnar neuritis
- Nursemaid’s elbow (radial head subluxation)
- Ulnar nerve entrapment (cubital tunnel syndrome)
- Valgus extension overload (VEO)
If you have an elbow injury or disorder, you may experience symptoms including:
- Pain, ranging from mild to severe
- Restricted movement
- Swelling, tenderness, and bruising
- Tingling and numbness, which may radiate down the arm
- A bone that is clearly misshapen or out of place
Elbow injuries and disorders are diagnosed using a combination of your medical history and activities, a physical examination, and imaging studies.
Our Sports Medicine specialists can successfully treat many elbow injuries and disorders without surgery. These conservative therapies include:
- RICE (rest, ice, compression, and elevation)
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Immobilizing devices such as braces and slings
When elbow surgery is the best course of treatment, our highly trained surgeons use minimally invasive techniques whenever possible.
From arthroscopic procedures and fracture fixation to complex elbow repair and revision surgeries, we offer specialized operations aimed at relieving elbow pain, restoring function, and achieving optimal long-term outcomes.
Request an Appointment
To schedule an appointment with a sports medicine specialist at UT Southwestern or to learn more about our services, please fill out the Appointment Request form or call 214-645-8300.