UT Southwestern offers personalized, leading-edge approaches to evaluate and treat all types of wounds – ranging from diabetics ulcer to those that result from cancer treatments, surgery or other medical conditions. We offer high level, comprehensive treatment options based on each patient’s needs. Our specialized expertise includes applying innovative therapies and techniques to reduce the time it takes for wounds to heal, as well as to prevent them from recurring.
We evaluate and treat all types of wounds, such as:
- Diabetic ulcers
- Venous wounds
- Arterial wounds
- Pressure ulcers
- Nonhealing surgical wounds
- Wounds occurring after cancer treatments
- Extremity wounds with edema (or lymphedema)
- Traumatic injury wounds
- Complex abdominal wounds
- Enterocutaneous fistulas
- And other advanced or complex situations
Why Choose UT Southwestern
One advantage of selecting UT Southwestern for help with wounds is our team. It’s led by physicians and podiatrists who are internationally-recognized leaders at the forefront of organizations setting the standards for wound care. These experts are actively engaged in discoveries to expand effective treatment solutions, such as new types of wound-specific dressings, advanced techniques to restore blood circulation, and groundbreaking surgical procedures to improve function and reduce scarring.
Comprehensive Care to Promote Healing
We pinpoint any reason a wound is not healing, and then optimize treatment plans based on the overall health care needs of our patients. We offer:
- Effective solutions to manage infections
- Groundbreaking nonsurgical treatments, ranging from specialized dressings to hyperbaric oxygen therapy
- Advanced surgical procedures, including minimally invasive procedures
- Individualized rehabilitation support
- Convenient access to world-class care for any health issue affecting a wound
- Exceptional patient education to prevent wounds from recurring
Well-balanced Wound Care Strategies
Our specialists in physical medicine & rehabilitation, plastic surgery, vascular surgery, and podiatry collaborate to provide the full spectrum of care and support patient’s needs. This includes:
- Specialized wound-specific dressings and therapies
- These treatments use gels, collagens, foams, and various other substances to help promote wound healing. We complement them with other support if needed, including hyperbaric oxygen therapy. For moist wound healing strategies, patients receive dressings and modalities based on national guidelines for minimizing the number of painful dressing changes.
- Bioengineered skin substitutes
- Our specialists use cell-based tissues to protect the wound and increase healing.
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy
- For this therapy, patients are immersed in 100 percent oxygen at a higher-than-normal atmospheric pressure, which increases the amount of oxygen in the blood and promotes quicker healing.
- Vascular surgery
- Our vascular specialists are experts at providing care to restore blood flow, with solutions ranging from medications and minimally invasive techniques to traditional open surgery.
- Plastic surgery
- Our plastic surgeons specialize in saving limbs and restoring function using advanced techniques such as microsurgery, as well as performing cosmetic procedures after a wound heals. Effective plastic surgery can reduce scarring and help restore function. Procedures may involve some of the latest, most advanced flap techniques.
Personalized Support and Patient Education
Effective at-home care can have a significant impact on wound recovery. As a result, patient education and support are key parts of the support our team provides. This ranges from recommending specialized equipment such as beds to helping understand how wounds should be healing. Because studies show wounds heal slower for people with diets lacking in essential nutrients, we provide information about nutrition to patients as part of treatment plans.