The Pain Management Program at UT Southwestern Medical Center offers expert, compassionate care for patients experiencing pain of the extremities, including phantom limb pain and pain associated with a herniated disc or peripheral neuropathy.
UT Southwestern is one of the few pain management centers in Texas with onsite pain specialists, behavioral medicine specialists, and physical therapists.
Evaluation and Treatments
After a comprehensive evaluation, a UT Southwestern pain management specialist thoroughly explains your diagnosis and treatment options. Depending on your specific condition, our specialists may prescribe muscle relaxants, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, anti-inflammatory cortisone injections, physical therapy, or a minimally invasive therapeutic procedure.
Our specialists are experts at providing some of the most advanced and effective minimally invasive therapies available, including:
- Facet blocks
- Cortisone is injected into the affected facet joint area, enabling patients to experience pain relief that may last from days to months
- Selective nerve root blocks
- Anti-inflammatory medication is injected into the affected nerve root. The procedure provides significant pain relief and may enable patients to avoid or delay surgery to repair a herniated disk
- Sympathetic nerve root blocks
- Anesthetic agents are injected around the affected sympathetic nerves to provide pain relief, as well as assess damage to the sympathetic nervous system.