The pulmonary laboratory at UT Southwestern Medical Center combines state-of-the-art testing techniques with a caring staff of lung specialists who are dedicated to helping you achieve the best possible outcome for your lung condition.
Our lung specialists use our pulmonary laboratory to precisely determine the nature of a patient’s lung disease, assess its severity, and provide the treatments needed for improved health.
The laboratory is available for inpatient and outpatient examinations, and includes comprehensive tests for lung capacity, gas exchange and analysis, stress testing, and blood-flow analysis. Our pulmonologists collaborate with laboratory staff to provide brachytherapy and interventional procedures, including rigid bronchoscopy, stent placement, and thoracoscopy.
- Arterial blood gas measurements
- To determine the level of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the blood
- Diffusion measurements
- To assess how lungs are able to supply oxygen to the bloodstream
- Exercise-based stress testing
- To evaluate any asthma or lung-related symptoms being experienced
- Lung-volume measurements
- To determine the quantity of air lungs can process during inhaling and exhaling
- Metabolism assessments
- To measure the amount of energy the body is capable of expending
- Occupational lung examinations
- To evaluate how occupation-related toxins or irritants may have affected the function of the lungs
- Oxygen desaturation tests
- To measure how exertion effects the amount of oxygen patients need for healthy lung functioning
- Spirometry assessments
- To determine the volume of air patients are able to inhale and exhale over a period of time