If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with cancer, you understand the stress associated with the many changes that cancer brings to your life. The Harold C. Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center has an experienced, compassionate psychology staff ready to help you adjust to these changes.
Our cancer psychologists, licensed clinical psychologists who are specially trained to help cancer patients, are here to assist in relieving the stress, sadness, or nervousness associated with cancer and its treatment. We are available for consultation with individuals, couples, and families. You may benefit from an appointment with us if you are suffering from cancer yourself, or if a loved one is facing cancer and you need support.
Should You Contact a Cancer Psychologist?
You can schedule an appointment any time before, during, and after your course of treatment. You do not have to wait to be referred by your doctor because we are part of your cancer care team.
If you answer yes to any of the questions listed below, please schedule a consultation with our cancer psychologist:
- Do you feel overwhelmed by the word “cancer”?
- Do you feel that you no longer know how to cope?
- Are you having trouble working with your cancer team?
- Is cancer causing other problems with your family or at your job?
- Do you want help talking with your family, children, or friends about cancer?
- Have you thought that learning specific techniques to deal with stress such as breathing exercises, imagery, and meditation may help you during your cancer treatment?
- Do you have a history of emotional difficulties?
- Do you feel like you need help in adjusting to symptoms or treatment side effects?
- After treatment is completed, do you wonder what the meaning of cancer was for your life?
- Do you struggle with fear that your cancer will return?
- Are you caring for a loved one who has cancer?
- Do you feel like there is lots of support for your family member with cancer but none for you?
For more information or an appointment with a cancer psychologist, please call us at 214-645-HOPE (4673).