Pediatric Brain Tumor
Brain tumors, although rare in children, represent the second most common cause of cancer found in that age group – only leukemia is more common.
But there’s reason for hope: Children have a better chance than adults of being cured if the tumor can be removed. With some tumors in children, additional treatment after surgery may not even be needed.
At UT Southwestern, our pediatric brain tumor team, led by our pediatric neurosurgeons, has dedicated subspecialists, state-of-the-art radiation technology, and access to advanced pediatric treatments that you won’t find at any other hospital in North Texas.
We treat 80 to 100 children with brain tumors each year, and we established the first pediatric neuro-oncology program in Texas.
Our team offers experience in the treatment of all types of tumors that affect the brain and spinal cord, including:
- Medulloblastoma or PNET (primitive neuroectodermal tumor) – the most common tumor of childhood
- Ependymoma – the third most common brain tumor of childhood
- Craniopharyngiomas – considered benign tumors but may have a very malignant or difficult clinical course
- Choroid plexus tumors – relatively rare in children; can be malignant or benign and often are large
- Pineal region tumors – located deep within the brain; response to different treatments varies
We have significant experience in minimally invasive skull base, endoscopic, endovascular, and radiosurgical techniques using the latest technologies.
UT Southwestern has developed more sophisticated ways of delivering radiation treatment in conjunction with new chemotherapies and advanced surgical techniques not offered at other hospitals in the area.
Request an Appointment
We are here to help you and your child. One of our neurosurgeons will become your single point of contact for your child’s treatment. He or she will help guide your child’s care and coordinate our multidisciplinary approach to treatment and healing.
To schedule an appointment with a pediatric blood cancer specialist at UT Southwestern’s facilities in Dallas or for more information about our services, request an appointment or call 214-645-8300.