Head & Neck Cancer
Specialized Care with a Singular Focus
UT Southwestern Medical Center’s Head and Neck Cancer Program offers specialized care for patients suffering from skin cancer of the head or neck, or cancer of the thyroid, mouth, larynx, throat, tongue, or nose or nasal cavity.
Our specialists are here to create a plan of care that works for you, as well as offer support services, such as reconstructive surgery and physical therapy, to help you regain your quality of life. We are dedicated to helping you move through this challenging time and get back to living your life fully.
Our Focused Expertise
Our team of dedicated head and neck cancer specialists offers a level of expertise unmatched in North Texas, providing our patients with comprehensive, timely, and effective care in a convenient location.
We are proud to be a team of specialists who only treat head and neck cancer, giving us a level of expertise that is on par with top U.S. cancer programs. Our integrated team includes surgeons, radiation and medical oncologists, oral and reconstructive surgeons, physical and occupational therapists, and speech pathologists. We collaborate closely on each case, ensuring that you benefit from the combined knowledge of all specialties.
The UT Southwestern Difference
We offer the most advanced diagnostic and treatment techniques available for head and neck cancer. With early and accurate diagnosis, these types of cancer are often curable. Diagnostic techniques include:
- Computed tomography (CT scan)
- Endoscopy for difficult-to-view areas of the head and neck
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Nuclear imaging
- Positron emission tomography (PET scan)
Once we have an accurate diagnosis, we establish a personalized plan of care.
We offer every treatment option that exists for head and neck cancer, including:
- Surgery to remove the tumor. When possible, we use minimally-invasive techniques, such as transoral robotic surgery, endoscopic laser surgery, and radiosurgery.
- Reconstructive surgery, which is often performed at the same time as the cancer surgery
- Radiation techniques, including stereotactic body radiation, a highly precise treatment performed only by leading experts
- Medical treatment, including cutting-edge chemotherapies and immunotherapies
We also offer a wide range of support services that are designed to help you and your family through this challenging time, including:
- Cancer psychology
- Counseling services
- Dentistry services to prevent and treat radiation-induced teeth and mouth problems
- Oncology nutrition
- Rehabilitation services, including occupational, physical, and speech therapy as well as lymphedema therapy
- Smoking cessation support
As a medical research institution, UT Southwestern conducts frequent clinical trials, giving our patients access to the newest treatments for head and neck cancer. Our latest clinical trials are exploring radiation techniques for treating larynx cancer, robotic surgery in oropharyngeal cancer, and immunotherapy in thyroid cancer.
Request an Appointment
To schedule a visit with a head and neck cancer specialist at UT Southwestern’s facilities in Dallas or to learn more about our services, request an appointment or call 214-645-8300.
Meet Our Head and Neck Cancer Experts
Our highly-trained specialists are dedicated to providing compassionate, patient-centered care using the latest technologies and methods.