Epilepsy & Seizures Comprehensive Evaluation and Treatment
At UT Southwestern, we have established one of largest epilepsy teams in Texas, specializing in care for adult and pediatric patients. Our expertise is a personalized approach to care, with experience in pinpointing the causes of seizures and effective treatments to control them.
Leading-Edge Care to Manage Seizures
Epilepsy and seizures can affect the brain in different ways. As a result, our specialists provide a comprehensive range of treatment options, including the latest medications, surgery, and emerging therapies. Guiding patients through personalized treatment strategies that balance quality-of-life considerations is key to our approach to care. We offer access to:
- Built-in “second opinions” from a broad range of specialists in epilepsy, who meet as a team to evaluate treatment options for patients
- New state-of-the art epilepsy monitoring unit (EMU), equipped with the latest technology to assist our medical team in evaluating patients with seizures
- Intracranial EEG, including robot-assisted stereo EEG to identify areas in the brain responsible for seizures
- Availability of broad range of medications, including new alternatives to treat seizures
- Advanced treatment methods, such as neuro-stimulation, laser ablation surgery for minimally invasive treatment, and surgical resection
- Emerging therapies. Our neurologists are among the first epilepsy experts in the United States to apply autoimmune neurology to treat seizures. Autoimmunity is a previously unrecognized cause of epilepsy, but could affect more than 20 percent of patients, particularly those with pharmaco-resistant seizures (seizures that cannot be managed by medications).
Experts in Treating a Full Spectrum of Epilepsy and Seizure Disorders
UT Southwestern neurologists, who are trained in treating epilepsy, lead care teams together with specialists in neurosurgery, neuro-radiology, and neuro-psychology, along with our advanced practice providers, nurses, and EEG technologists. We offer diagnostic and treatment capabilities for a wide range of needs, including patients with:
- Recently diagnosed epilepsy
- Uncontrollable or treatment-resistant seizures, those not responding to medications
- Spells, seizures, or similar events not diagnosed as epilepsy
- Plans to become pregnant, or expecting a baby, while taking medications for epilepsy
- Seizures resulting from or complicated by traumatic brain injuries and concussions, strokes and other cerebrovascular conditions, sleep disorders, and other conditions (other than epilepsy)
- Complex health care needs related to epilepsy
Our specialists are affiliated with Level 4 Epilepsy Centers (through Parkland Health and Children’s Health). This is the highest designation possible, with recognition is through the National Association of Epilepsy Centers.
Request an Appointment
Patients and referring physicians may contact us at 214-645-8300 for an initial evaluation or second opinion.