Guided by compassion and committed to excellence, UT Southwestern Medical Center nurses are dedicated to providing the highest-quality, patient-centered care. Their specialized skills and personalized services – evident throughout UTSW University Hospitals and Clinics – are a cornerstone of UTSW’s nursing program.
Every year, UTSW nurses are distinguished for their efforts and honored with awards for their achievements. Last year, a dozen nurses have been singled out for recognition in the community – eight as part of the 2013 Dallas/Fort Worth Great 100 and four as recipients of D Magazine’s Excellence in Nursing Awards.
A Nurse’s Perspective
Registered nurses Damon Watkins and Tam Johnson are two of the more than 1,300 UTSW nurses who devote themselves daily to achieving clinical excellence and positively impacting patients’ lives. In the following videos, they share insights and inspirations about the profession.
Great 100 Nurses
The DFW Great 100 recognizes registered nurses for their contributions to the communities in which they live and practice both the art and science of nursing. The organization honors 100 registered nurses who are nominated by their peers and selected for being role models, leaders, community servants, compassionate caregivers, and significant contributors to the nursing professions.
Great 100 nurses selected from UT Southwestern Medical Center for 2013 are:
- Linda Ahrens, A.D.N., R.N., OCN
- Tammie Brown-O’Connor, B.S.N., R.N.
- Linda Catterton, A.D.N., B.A., R.N., IBCLC
- Elizabeth Curry, B.S.N., R.N.
- Rebecca Deisler, ADN, R.N.
- Kavitha Gopalakrishran-Nair, B.S.N., R.N., OCN
- Beena Johnson, Diploma R.N.
- Roxanne Tattersall, Diploma R.N., R.N.-BC
Excellence in Nursing Awards
D Magazine’s Excellence in Nursing Awards recognize the best nurses in the city. Nominated by patients, peers, and physicians in any of 21 categories, the following UT Southwestern honorees were chosen for making a difference in the lives of their patients and colleagues:
- Tamara Johnson, M.S., B.S.N., R.N., COHN-S (Occupational Health)
- Martha Kingman, D.N.P., FNP-C (Acute Care)
- Jeanne Seitz, R.N., MSNCB (General Practice)
- Damon Watkins, M.S., R.N., CPAN (Neurosciences)